$3 Million for Morristown: Community Rallies Around COVID-19 Frontline Workers
“I’ve always known that we have the most amazing, resilient and compassionate team here at Morristown Medical Center,” said Trish O’Keefe, PhD, RN, president, Morristown Medical Center, vice president, Atlantic Health System. “Their strength and professionalism under these stressful circumstances continues to be an inspiration and will help get all of us through these challenging times.”
The Impact of Giving
The community agreed. Just months after launching the COVID-19 Support Fund for Morristown Medical Center, community members and team members — many first-time donors — gave more than $3 million in monetary donations and in-kind gifts. Donations have supported the purchase of much-needed equipment for critical care patients, including eight machines that conduct quantitative fit testing of respirator masks; Vocera to be used for the COVID-19 census; a Roche COVID-19 testing machine; IV-drip counters; negative pressure devices for the ED; scales and BP kits for our clinic; ventilators, glidescopes and bronchoscopes; and100 iPads for patient communications. Over $160,000 was also donated to purchase meal gift cards for frontline team members, through Serve it Forward. Serve it Forward was created in partnership with Morristown Mayor Tim Dougherty’s office and Morristown Medical Center in an effort to both support local businesses and healthcare heroes.
In-kind donations also included personal protective equipment (PPE) – in bulk and individual, homemade masks – and vital medical supplies, as well as staff meals, which are still pouring into the hospital every day.
While support for Morristown Medical Center’s response to COVID-19 is still needed, especially N95 protective masks, we would like to specifically thank the following donors:
Corporations, Community Organizations and Foundations ($10,000+)
- David Tepper Charitable Foundation, Inc.
- Emerson Automation Solutions (formerly Automatic Switch Company)
- Health Care Foundation of NJ
- Margaret A. Darrin Charitable Trust
- Michael J. Kosloski Family Foundation
- PLT Health Solutions
- R Baby Foundation: grant for the purchase of a ventilator for Sam’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- School communities of Frelinghuysen, Long Valley and Mendham Township Middle Schools
- The Rippel Foundation
- William E. Simon Foundation
- Christine and Michael Berkson
- Anthony and Jennifer Caruso
- Goryeb Family
- Martin and Ahuva Gross
- Lori Ingber, PhD, Foundation for Morristown Medical Center Board of Trustees Secretary
- S. Dillard and Adrienne Kirby
- Karen Mandelbaum
- Fran and Don MacMaster
- Christopher and Loretta Stadler
- Stacey and Jonathan Seligson
- Ken and Claudia Silverman
- Nancy and Nicholas Valeriani
- Finn Wentworth, Atlantic Health System Board of Trustees member and former Foundation for Morristown Medical Center Board Chair, and Kim Wentworth
- Board of Trustees Member Glenn Yarnis and Marcie Yarnis
- Patti Aresty: 100 Baby monitors for use in the Sameth Emergency Department; baby monitors allow nurses to communicate with patients without having to enter the room
- Beiersdorf: 37,500 Units of hand sanitizer and 10,000 units of NIVEA Soft all-in-one cream
- Cosette Pharmaceuticals: 5,000 Units of hand sanitizer
- Delta Dental: Oral care kits for team members
- Emerson Automation Solutions: 2,000 N95 masks
- Front Line Appreciation Group (FLAG): Meals for frontline staff and cases of bottled water
- Jeremy Gulish: 32,000, three-ply surgeical masks
- Heartworks: 15 iPads to be used by patients in isolation
- Barbara Hightower: 36 Pairs of Crocs™
- Kia Motors America, Inc.: 24 Boxes of face shields
- JCRMG: 1,000 face shields
- Andy Khubani, Founder and CEO, Ideavillage: 2,000 pairs of CopperFit Energy Compression Socks
- Kindersmile Foundation: Various PPE including gloves, masks, protective gowns, biohazard bags, etc.
- Nick Mulvihill: 20 Amazon Fire 7 tablets
- Mondelēz International, Inc.: Four pallets of red, white and blue crème Oreos for Atlantic Health System frontline team members
- Perlier: 17,350 Units of skincare and bath products
- Shrimad Rajchandra Love and Care (SRLC): 150+ Meals; water and pre-packaged snacks; 500 N95 masks; 500 surgical masks; and homemade masks. SRLC also organized a motorcade on May 31, 2020, to show support for frontline team members at Morristown Medical Center
- Six Feet of Sunshine: 200 Boxes filled with snacks, stickers, pencils, chapstick, games and more for pediatric and adult patients
- Vietnamese Buddhist Association: 180 Face shields
- Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, Inc: 10,000 Face masks
Growing Forward Campaign Impact
In addition to the direct impact of the COVID-19 Support Fund, our donor-funded expansion projects for the Growing Forward Campaign have proven vital. With the addition of two inpatient floors and 72-private patient rooms – crucial for those who require isolation – Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute has been an invaluable resource as we face the unique challenges presented by the COVID-19 global health crisis. The new and expanded Joan and Edward Foley Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) has also provided care teams with the additional capacity to accommodate even more critical care patients, which now make up the majority of inpatient cases at Morristown Medical Center.
Pictured above L-R: Bonnie Gannon, director of corporate and foundation relations for the Foundation for Morristown Medical Center and Jeff Wawrzeniak, Director, Global Environmental for Emerson Automation Solutions.
Our Donors in Action
Pictured (L-R): Bonnie Gannon, director of corporate and foundation relations for the Foundation for Morristown Medical Center, William Skrzat, chief HR service officer for Wyndham Hotel Group, Chip Ohlsson, EVP & chief development officer for Wyndham Hotel Group and Jenny Collins, account manager for Atlantic Health System Corporate Health with a donation of 10,000 face masks from Wyndham Hotels & Resorts, Inc.
Sacha and Beth, volunteers from JCRMG, and Estefani Rodriguez, administrative assistant for the Foundation for Morristown Medical Center, with a donation of 1,000 face shields for Morristown Medical Center.
Pictured: Debra Mishal dropping off a donation of Bombas socks for Morristown Medical Center ICU nurses. Debra personally donated $200 worth of socks and worked with Bombas to secure an additional 100 pairs for our team.
Mondelēz International, Inc. donation of red, white and blue crème Oreos for Atlantic Health System frontline team members.
Pictured Morristown Medical Center Serve it Forward gift card recipients (L-R): Christina Barter, Assistant Nurse Manager, Surgical and Medical Intensive Care Units; Luis Salvia, Patient Experience Liaison; Brian Martin, Administrative Fellow; Erika Garrabrant, RN, Nurse Educator, Kahn 5; and Miguel Farias, Media Services Associate.
SRLC volunteers with one of several donations of pre-packaged snacks and bottled water, meals and masks.
Pictured (L-R): Jessica Puia, Associate Director, Supply Chain and Thomas Graf Associate Director, Environmental, Health, Safety and Security at Cosette Pharmaceuticals.
Volunteers from Six Feet of Sunshine dropping off boxes for adult and pediatric patients filled with snacks, stickers, pencils, chapstick, games and more.
Pictured (L-R): Kim Goryeb, customer satisfaction manager for Morristown Medical Center, and Filipa Molina, patient experience assistant manager for Morristown Medical Center, distributing Perlier skincare donations to Morristown Medical Center team members.
Pictured: Hui Zhang and her son Nelson Zhang on Mother's Day weekend dropping off their donation of 500 surgical masks and 100 N95 masks.
Pictured: Matthew Wizeman and Derek Becht of Becht Engineering delivering a donation of masks for frontline workers at Morristown Medical Center.
Pictured: Goryeb Children's Hospital team members with breakfast donated by a local young woman, Aashiya. Aashiya asked friends and family to contribute to provide a meal for local healthcare heroes in place of presents for her 13th birthday.
NIVEA donation of 10,000 units of Soft all-in-one cream for Morristown Medical Center team members.
20 Amazon Fire 7 tablets with words of encouragement for patients in isolation donated by Nick Mulvihill.
Members of the Kia Motors America, Inc. eastern region team delivering 24 boxes of face shields for frontline workers.
Morristown Medical Center team members wearing face shields donated by the Vietnamese Buddhist Association.
Sugar scrub face masks donated by Freeman Beauty for Atlantic Health System PRIDE week.
Pictured: Susan Johns, major gift officer for the Foundation for Morristown Medical Center, dropping off 2,000 pairs of CopperFit Energy Compression Socks donated by Andy Khubani, Founder and CEO, Ideavillage for the team at Morristown Medical Center.
Pictured L-R: Nauka Thakker, NP, corporate health services for Morristown Medical Center and Ria Lam, NP, occupational medicine for Morristown Medical Center with hairbrush donations from Franco and Co.
Team members from the Kindersmile Foundation dropping off PPE donations at Morristown Medical Center. The individuals behind the donations included Nicole McGrath-Barnes, MD, founder and CEO of the Kindersmile Foundation, Dorrie Gagnon, board member for the Kindersmile Foundation, Cynthia Banks, VP of operations for the Boys & Girls Club of Newark Dental Center, Thomas Gagnon, volunteer, Juan Barnes, volunteer and Gardan Speights, director of community wellness and teen services for Boys & Girls Club of Newark Dental Center.
Pictured L-R: Catherine McCarthy, director of corporate health for Morristown Medical Center and Bonnie Gannon, director of corporate and foundation relations for the Foundation for Morristown Medical Center accepting PPE donations from Emerson Automation Solutions.
Sweet treats and words of encouragement for our healthcare heroes from Crowley Cupcakes in Madison.
Pictured L-R: Robert Biener, director of business development for Morristown Medical Center, Jason Kessler, MD, section chief of infectious disease for Morristown Medical Center, Miten Patel, franchisee of several local Dunkin Donuts locations, Caryn Battaglia, district manager for Dunkin Donuts and Carol Jones, Chief Nursing Officer for Morristown Medical Center. Patel, a repeat donor to Morristown Medical Center, will continue to donate treats for team members on Saturdays and Sundays over the next few weeks.
Pictured: Morristown Medical Center team members with oral care kits donated by Delta Dental, long-time corporate donors to the Foundation for Morristown Medical Center.