Aidan's Story

Steve Kinsey remembers Long Beach Island in the summer of 2016 as everything you don’t want a family vacation to be. His 8-year-old son, Aidan, was sick with headaches, vomiting, and dizziness. There were multiple trips to urgent care and the nearby hospital’s Emergency Department and multiple guesses by doctors on what was going on. No one seemed to know.
All the while Aidan’s condition was getting worse.
The last straw happened when they were in the car and Aidan asked, “Daddy why is that traffic light split in two?”
Mr. Kinsey knew the answer to that question — his son had begun having double vision — and he knew just what their next move would be.
 “Forget this, we’re driving straight to Morristown,” he said. “I’m tired of all the guessing.”
It was Goryeb Children’s Hospital that he had the utmost confidence in and the reason for the family’s gift to the Annual Fund in 2017.
As Peapack-Gladstone residents, Mr. Kinsey and his wife Sama had prior experience with Goryeb a few years back when their daughter, Amina, 13 months old at the time, was rushed to the hospital with a concussion. Later she was moved to the Joan and Edward Foley Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
“With my daughter’s condition, they were incredibly professional and incredibly knowledgeable,” says Mr. Kinsey.
Those attributes were exactly what Mr. Kinsey was focusing on during the long car ride back to Morristown. Aidan kept asking his Dad why it was taking so long.
“I told him, you’ve got to wait, we’re going to the right hospital now,” says Mr. Kinsey.
Once they arrived at the Gagnon Children’s Emergency Center at Goryeb, within seconds they were seen by a doctor and then several specialists.
“Not only was everyone incredibly professional this time around as well, but they knew what was wrong and gave us the correct diagnosis [Lyme Meningitis],” says Mr. Kinsey.
“To know what Aidan had was the best thing in the world,” he adds. “It was so comforting.”
Just when Mr. Kinsey thought it couldn’t get any better, one of the nurses approached him and his family in the hospital corridor and said, “I remember you.”
“It had been four years since we had been there with our daughter,” says Mr. Kinsey. “She remembered my wife and son immediately. It meant so much to us.”

Pictured (l-r) Aidan Kinsey, Sama Habibi, Amina and Steve Kinsey

Make a Difference Today